A Simple Girl's Guide To Eyeshadow
I think I'm safe in assuming that eyeshadow is the hardest part of makeup to master.. am I right?! At least for me it is.. even now! But here's the deal... While I totally admire and respect those bold and dramatic eye looks (like the ones that make it look like they have a literal peacock surrounding their eyeballs) I'm just not that girl! I'll always be a simple/minimal and (let's be honest lazy...) girl at heart! So I'm more on board with eyeshadow that looks amazing but takes less than 5 minutes, uses only a few shades, and can be done with a child climbing all over me!! And since you're reading this, I think you're like me so I know you're going to love this Simple Girls Guide to Eyeshadow! And if you do love it, feel free to pin it or share it on Facebook!
Ooookay first let's talk about some basics that you likely already know but I'm going to talk about them real quick anyway!
1. Use a primer- doesn't have to be anything fancy (heck I just use my cream foundation!) There are lots of awesome and affordable primers out there! Creating an even and smooth base for your eyeshadow will instantly make a big difference!
2. Give those brows some love- No you don't need to go get microblading or even a wax (if you're like me and would rather give birth than get waxed! hahaha) I just use a Tinkle razor (you can find them on Amazon) to shape and trim them and then I use a light brown eyeshadow (oak) to fill them in. Super easy and makes my whole eye look complete! I love these eyeshadows for filling in brows (depending on your hair color) You can shop them here!
3. Also good lashes are a must! I'm personally not for using falsies on an everyday basis but I do suggest experimenting with different mascaras to find one that works for your lashes! I really love L’Oreal lash paradise or million voluminous lashes! I also don't use waterproof because I feel like it clumps easier and is so hard to clean off! (unless you anticipate watching a sad chick flick or being dumped.. then maybe opt for the waterproof)
4. Start with just 1-2 neutral colors! If you find yourself struggling to master those Pinterest looks, take it easy babe! Get the blending and placement down with just 2 light/neutral shades and you'll be able to easily replace them with more dark and daring colors! (hellooo peacock look- we’re comin for ya!)
1. I found this graphic on Pinterest and love it! I think it is super helpful! Eye shape plays a big role in how your look will turn out and where you need to apply! Identify which eye shape matches you most and try out that method of application! But of course this is just a guide! Don’t feel like you are stuck with only one method of application!
2. Choose your eyeshadow wisely because products DO matter! I'm definitely not saying that you have to buy the priciest name brand (because price doesn’t always equal quality), but experiment and find a product that is very pigmented and applies smoothly. Or save time and money and just get Maskcara Beauty eyeshadows, trust me- they're the BOMB and you get to order by the single (meaning customized palettes!) and they last 8-12months depending on use! So treat yo self girl and go grab a few new eyeshadows!
3. I can't stress enough how important a good brush is! You need at least one round fluffy/blending brush and a more dense smaller one for more precise placement and crease/under eye application! I love this Eyeshadow Everything brush because it has both of these on ONE brush and it's such a good price for the quality! A good brush will make applying more even, smooth, and give you that perfectly blended finish!
I feel like it's hard to explain application in words sooo I'm just going to put a couple graphics here as well as some links to a few tutorial videos! Again, these looks are really simple and easy! Leave me a comment if you try any and which ones you love most!
>>First tutorial is this "fall" look a did a while ago but it's so pretty and would be great as a winter eye too! Watch the tutorial here!
>>This second look is super easy and can be replicated with any two shades! The colors I used here are sabrina and oak and can be purchased here!
>>I also love this graphic! This is the basics of eyeshadow! 3 colors and intentional placement. Again, it can be easily replicated and this graphic breaks it down step by step!
>>Okay this next tutorial is a bit long so you can skip to about 3:40. This eye look I didn't even use eyeshadow!! I actually used a cream contour and cream blush! It was so easy with my Maskcara all in one compact! Click here to watch the tutorial!
>>Last eyeshadow tutorial I want to share is this simple everyday eye look! This is one I do at least 3 times a week! Click here to watch it!
Okay so maybe you don’t struggle with application (you go girl!) But.. maybe you do struggle with buying eyeshadow palettes because you aren’t sure what colors look best on you, or you’re not sure which eyeshadow shades even look good together! No worries, I’ve totally been there too! It can be tough! So here are some combo/palette ideas for eye colors and just a few sets of 4 shades that look awesome together for anyone! You can shop any of these eyeshadows and customize your own palette here!
And here are some fun combos with just 4 colors! The best part about these particular eyeshadows is once your favorite color runs out, you can just easily replace that single one! And these eyeshadows are a lot larger than most so they will last you almost an entire year!
Alright that wraps up this blog post! I hope these tips will help you rock that eyeshadow! Just remember, wear what you love and be confident about it! Just practice a lot and blend more than you think! Thank you so much for reading this post babe!